Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: new build, Severn Supporter  (Read 11943 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: new build, Severn Supporter
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2023, 07:47:42 pm »

Hi all
had a go at constructing the schilling rudders this week end, as im not an engineer i found these quite hard with the drilling and getting the shape some what right, considering the thickness where i wanted to put the screws it didnt all go to my ideas, after drilling the rudders the shafts had a base silver soldered to them and secured by screws, this is my idea to keep every thing rigid, then a top plate was then added,but, i couldnt silver solder these, it would have reduced the plastic rudders to a mess, so i simply soft soldered these in place, as the pictures show there is some more shaping to do, but im getting there..

Trucker

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2023, 04:12:54 pm »

Good on you, nemesis

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2023, 05:49:33 pm »

Hi, All
Im about to make the outer shaft supports for severn supporter my work boat, these will be in brass with two supports above and one bellow, but, im wondering should the two top supports be a particular degrees apart, i have 60 degrees in my head, thinking i read this on the web but would be grateful if some one could put me right.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2023, 08:08:01 pm »

hi every one,
heres a picture of the shaft supports ive been working on for a few days, silver soldered the upper section to the tube that slides over the shaft tube then the only way i could see to solder the lower section to the support bar below the shaft whilst in situ was to soft solder it,
Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2023, 06:16:07 pm »

Hi, All
Ive had a go at scratch building a life raft, all bits and bobs from the scrap tin, im hoping to clean it up and sand where needed and then hopefully make a resin casting.

Trucker.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2023, 07:46:16 pm »

:-))
Shafts and supports are now secured and sealed, so, today i have put a plan in action on how to fit the rudders in and have a way of removing them for future maintenance of the props / shafts or even the rudders, so this is how ive managed the problem, i have put in place inside the hull a removable block which the rudder shaft passes this also acts as a support for the shafts, if needed once removed i can get just enough movement to push up and then pull out from under the hull the rudders or even remove the prop.
pictures show rudder and prop of starboard side and one showing the shaft block inside ...

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2023, 07:33:54 pm »

Hi, All
Latest pics showing a little bit of colour and props installed along with the rudders, the colour is Halfords red primer, this will be the final colour for the bottom but may need a bit of filler and tidy up and of course more paint before i can sign that bit off..

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2023, 06:29:06 pm »

Hi, All
Heres a couple of pictures of my work boat showing some progress  O0 , shes in Mote Park at my club getting her bottom wet, one small leak appeared after an hour in the water so not too bad, and one picture of my belt drive set up, all dry fit at the moment but looking ok

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2023, 07:54:20 am »

Hi, All
I have improved the looks and build design of my shillings rudders, this came about because im trying to come up with a design where upon they can be removed with very little fuss for any future maintenance , some rubbing down and reshaping and ive put a piece of square molding on the trailing edge to enhance a crisp edge.
Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2023, 05:48:54 pm »

Hi. All
Severn Supporter has finally got her colours, and the rudders have been put in again complete with pins to aid removing them if needed later, a few other bits have been made including the support for the mast, this is going to be a folding mast as per the real one. there will be a few bit of paint work to touch up later but i expect that...
enjoy

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2023, 04:44:03 pm »

Hi Every one
Things have slowed down on this build for one reason or another, i keep moving to one part to another with out finishing any , how ever heres yet one more piece under construction, details taken from the GA plan and the pictures within, this is the deck knuckle crane, its only going to be a static part so im going to try and detail it up as much as i can... Ive made it from plastic sheet, the white pieces in front are the templates i drew up for shaping.

TRUCKER

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2023, 05:09:21 pm »

Great build and how cool is that belt drive system - amazing  :-))

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2023, 06:01:01 pm »

Thank you mark, its like a jigsaw at the moment, bits every where, im trying my hand at a bit of tiny printing too, this is one computer for the bridge its showing as  the radar screen, this is only just just done hoping for better results.

Trucker

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2023, 06:36:17 pm »

That looks great  :-))  - this is one of the best things about our hobby.  We can just give our ideas a go and if it doesn't work out well at least we tried but we often win.  It keeps the old grey matter ticking over.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2023, 04:35:14 pm »

Hi, All
A days work here, dry fitted the Knuckle crane , completed four of the six hydraulic rams these were put together with telescopic fitting plastic tubes to get some where near the plan size, the brackets holding them down have been cut and shaped from block plastic, drilled and a plastic pin through the lot. I have put in the tow cable guides at the stern roller, these will painted up a little later.

Trucker

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2023, 10:16:30 am »

Hi there Trucker, I've not looked in for a number of months now but it's great to see your progress on the build and I really like the way you've tackled the korts and rudders. As far as I can remember I don't think I've ever seen removable rudder tube support blocks, good idea  O0 .

Anyway, she's coming along very nicely - cheers!

Ray.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2023, 07:55:52 pm »

hi again fellow builders
ive been on the crane again today, the final hydraulic rams are fitted, they proved to be quite fiddley to attach, i made one end free moving to give me some help to get the crane to the required position but had a little accident with the super glue so its now fixed but it doesnt look too bad..

Trucker

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2023, 08:42:31 pm »

Just adding those 2 centre rams makes a big difference to the overall appearance of the crane - good work yet again Trucker, I like it  O0

Cheers,
Ray.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2023, 09:03:09 pm »

:-))  hi Ray thanks for looking in, im amazed at the things that can be put together from some drawings and some thought,

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2023, 06:48:38 pm »

Hi All
Heres ab few pics of a little more detailing on the crane and ive made a start to the the railings / sides, these are made from 4.8mm tube the bends done over a hot soldering iron, parts will also be filled with solid plastic sheet..

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2023, 06:51:24 pm »

sorry left this one out

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2023, 05:32:17 pm »

Hi, All
Just a little update on my build, the sides have almost been completed, but now have to wait for the spring to get some paint on them, the crane is pretty much done, ive made most of the deck working area a hatch so i can access all the bits and bobs below, there is a layer of thick wooden planks in the deck area so im now working on that,using thin strips of wood.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2023, 01:41:01 pm »

Hi, every one
I have completed the deck work area this morning, it is made up from a piece of 3mm ply with .5mm plastic strips going across giving it the four large section, laid in between these are .5mm wood strips i think theres about 135 pieces individually cut and glued down, i will have to give the wood some kind of water proof coating. This is all framed with 4mm angled plastic, the finished decking will be attached to the main deck / hatch opening and will be a removeable part for access to the inside...

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2024, 07:47:24 am »

Hello to All
heres a pic of the large eye that sits in front of the main towing winch, sorry dont know if it actually has a nautical name,
the bending of the 10mm tube caused lots of problems for me so i decided to make it in several parts then make good with filler and some sanding, thats where im at know. the construction was made up by the two main legs, a smaller rod was bent to a radius for each side, joined at top with a small 10mm piece, then car body filler used to fill up the radius, im sure once its sanded to a nice finish it will look just fine.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2024, 05:44:32 pm »

Some time ago a made a life raft master with the intention of a resin mould being made, well, this weekend i have done just that, i intended it to be a two part mould but the demoulding vaseline i used to help separate the halves did not do the job, so to save all my work i had to opt for a little bit of cutting down each side and made a single block mould, Resin made and poured the end result is quite pleasing, i have a little sanding and a tiny hole to fill, the pic shows the end result with one of the two vents still attached..
This moulding lark is truly another skill im learning..

Trucker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.