Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: R.N.L.I Severn scratch build  (Read 102663 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: R.N.L.I Severn scratch build
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2010, 08:02:43 pm »

Finally finished the heavy welding today. I've even made the swinging gates on the rear deck.

Here's the lot in one shot. Total cost of all that brass is unprintable  (while she's watching).

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2010, 08:05:54 pm »

Time to get on with the painting.  Yippee!!

First job is to undercoat the cabin, so it was out with the red oxide paint.

As you can see, the can ran out of pressure so tomorrow it's off out to the shops again. Must have a word with the bank manager.  He wants to go back to the old system where I gave Him money.   %)

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2010, 09:03:45 pm »

She is looking great Ken. I do not envy all that time spent "welding" that brass!! :-)) :-)) :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2010, 09:16:03 pm »

Thanks Footski, it did seem to go on and on.  I did however succeed in setting fire to my thumb nail and skin with the blow torch.   :embarrassed:

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2010, 04:16:45 pm »

Armed with some new cans I've set about the cabin with gusto.

As it's all one colour now it's easier to see the flaws, so I've been bust with P28 filler today. I shall be sanding it all down smooth and then it's time for ORANGE.   :o

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2010, 04:20:13 pm »

Can you see what it is yet ?

My thanks to CJ1 and Russ for their advice.   :-))

ken

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2010, 06:39:14 pm »

That'll be the 'y' boat then sport! %)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2010, 10:51:01 am »

Well done No.6    More of a U boat at the moment. Just the inflatable bit.

Question ---  is the floor at ground level or 1/4 of the way up the floats?

ken

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2010, 11:11:57 am »

Quelle Gusto Kenny!  :o  ;)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2010, 07:46:18 pm »

Correct ----  sort of the Lifeboat's lifeboat.

I have made the Y boat from a cut down wooden tool handle. The pieces were cut to shape and glued under pressure  (the bricks).  Today I cut the base board from thin ply and the hood from the same ply and glued them together. It had now been painted with red oxide and left to dry.

I have sanded down the small fillings done to the cabin and also resprayed with more red oxide  (I do love that stuff. Sands well and can be quite smooth ready for top coat.)

Here's the latest pictures.

Ken

fatcat123

« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:30 pm »

Hi,

Been following the build with great interest and have to say its looking brilliant. Better than i thought it would be using the materials provided. Mike P is building me a speedline trent which looks good but this thing looks equallay as good for considerably less price! I so wish I had as much imagination, but maybe in another life.

Really really looking forward to seeing the build progress.

P.S, i'm also on another site building a wyeforce!?!?! You left a comment on the thread... ;D

Dan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2010, 11:29:59 am »

Hi,

Been following the build with great interest and have to say its looking brilliant. Better than i thought it would be using the materials provided.  

Dan

Hi Dan,  thank you very much.  I suppose it comes from having a lot of spare time and no money.   :}  I look around for equivalent shape I need to make and choose a suitable material and off I go.

Yes, this hasn't cost much so far, but the heavy bills are about to start.  I'll list them as I go along.

I also fancied the Speedline version and can now see why the parts cost so much.  I've found the costs of the brass tubing was horrifying, but I was committed to that design, so had to continue.  'Er indoors' was not impressed at the time but can now see it's almost worth it.

I like to comment on other peoples build enquiries if I can help in any way, 'caus I know how it feels. I, myself , need all the help I can get.  O0

The Sun has come out and today is "Orange day".  Yippee!!!  out with spray paint.  %)

ken

dan

« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:18 pm »

The Sun has come out and today is "Orange day".  Yippee!!!  out with spray paint.  %)

any pictures of it painted ken?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2010, 08:42:52 pm »

Hi Dan

Funny you say that.  I've just come out of the shower, getting the white spirit off my self.

I have sprayed the cabin with bright orange from Volkswagen and not too pleased with effect on the plywood. The small indents of the wood are showing through. Not what I would call a smooth surface. Hmph!!  I wonder how many coats it's going to need.

I shall wait until it dries and see how sanding will help tomorrow. Do you know, it took a whole can just to spray the cabin. Good job I bought three tins.  {:-{

ken

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2010, 09:16:05 pm »

Don't use the red oxide as a filler coat Ken, it doesn't work as a grain filler on the plywood as you have found out !!

Get a tin of the spray filler/primer and use that first, then you need a white primer followed by the orange otherwise the colour goes too dark.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:36 pm »

Can I add this new stuff to the existing coats I have on at the moment.  pretty please.  (what a problem I've created for myself !!)

ken

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »

Can I add this new stuff to the existing coats I have on at the moment.  pretty please.  (what a problem I've created for myself !!)

ken

If the brand is the same e.g. all from Halfords, then yes.

If not then you can try a little spray in one part and see if they react with each other, if no reaction then yes, if they react then you can get a barrier coat spray to use first (this isolates the bottom coats from the new ones).

It's either this way or at least another 5 or 6 coats of the red oxide to fill the surface, maybe.  ;D

Remember over ply its:     1) Filler/primer (possibly a couple of coats) gently sanded down
                                          2) white primer(possibly a couple of coats) gently sanded down
                                          3) Orange top coats x 2 at least (Thin layers, not thick and runny!)
                                          4) If you want a super gloss finish then a couple of coats of clear gloss spray (same brand as the paint !) over the top followed a week later by very,very fine rubbing compound to give a level surface then good quality polish to finish. :-))

Best of luck as it's a lot of work but worth it in the end as most Lifeboats are kept in immaculate condition.

Mike

p.s This filler/ primer system applies to the wooden hull as well, just use a GREY primer under the blue and red of the hull. ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2010, 11:18:04 am »

Thank you for all that information Mike. I shall take it on board.

I went out to the workshop today and filmed the results so far.  As you can see, the plywood has come through the paint, as if it's been sucked in to the grooves.  This is the worst effect I've ever seen and looks quite tragic, but with your advice, I shall proceed carefully to achieve a better finish.  It's a shame this paint is £6 per tin as there are three tins on the cabin so far.

With regards to the hull, then this will be epoxied, so a different approach there. That section of work has now moved farther away and I can't float her until it's done.

Ken

ps ---  any suggestions as to where I can get a 1:12 scale  'Hiab crane' please.

pps ----  Just noticed that I'm up to 5000 pictures on my trusty camera.  :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2010, 11:20:06 am »

Here are some pictures 'closer up view'

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2010, 07:18:43 pm »

I have been sanding all day today. The surface is now as flat as I can get it so I've sprayed on a coat of filler/primer.

Here are the results, which looks quite promising. We shall have to wait for it to dry before another sanding (lightly this time).

I expect you're getting fed up of the cabin and it's colours but there is only white and orange to go before  we can continue with the build.  ok2

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »

Here's the white version.

First coat of undercoat applied and drying nicely in the sun

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2010, 05:10:36 pm »

Using "the more paint the merrier" I have started using up various tins of the stuff. The Lifeboat's little lifeboat has turned green and I have now made a tapered base for her.

Here it is under clamps.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2010, 07:33:41 pm »

The new tapered base is fitted to the rescue RIB and now sprayed, so I thought I'd make the outboard motor for it.

To this end I've cut a block of wood and shaped the whole thing in one piece. The picture shows the spare block of wood in case the chisel slipped !

The cabin has it's 6th tin of paint on it and needs just one more can to finish off.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2010, 07:56:31 pm »

Had a busy time of late.  The hull has been fibre glassed with fine cloth and resin. This was done with the help of the 'Fibre glassing expert' from my local Yacht club, who was following my build and wanted to help me achieve the best possible finish. This will be covered with a white 'Flow coat' of epoxy when dry. This had to be done on the weekend, so out of the window went the Shepton Mallet show trip.

The insides were also soaked in epoxy and drained to give a nice finish. (had to be careful it didn't run down the prop or Rudder shafts !!)   See pictures.

While all this was drying I got on with the cabin refurbishment. I have sprayed it a nice orange colour along with the base line of Blue ( courtesy of Vauxhall cars)  which now makes it seven tins of aerosol paint  %)

I then fitted the previously made windows complete with their surrounding rivets. Then I made the windscreen wipers and mounts and these have been glued in place. The rope swing out arms were made of brass and attached on pivots to the cabin walls.  See further pictures.

The lifeboats RIB was painted again and the false floor fitted along with the steering column. The outboard motor was painted in it's livery and attached to the stern. No picture yet as it's still under clamps.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:19 pm »

Looking good Ken, its gonna be one heavvvvyyy boat.  ;)

Russ
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.