Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.  (Read 322725 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.
« Reply #525 on: April 30, 2012, 09:50:19 am »

Dave is located in Liverpool, and a lot of good comedians tend to come from there.Ken Dodd (the best) They joke when they steal your car wheels  LOL.
Good to see this post is now coming back to a friendly nature,so lets all let Neil get on with his build,and let him and his stones "get satisfaction"
Mick F
Are you saying Neil and others are stoned???????????? {-) {-) {-) {-) %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #526 on: April 30, 2012, 11:47:32 am »

well, I've had confirmation today that the latest colour that I have painted the engine casing of the "Smuts" in is just about right, so after I havehelped my electrician to sort out the wiring to the shower ( which is very perplexing to say the least) I can give it a few more coats.

Yes....any sparks amongst us.....

Scenario...............a few weeks ago the electric shower stopped working.........there was power to the main switch on the landing, and when the electrician tested it all, there was power going to the shower and all through it.
burt when you turn on the power on the shower, the LED on the main switch will go out and the shower still won't work...........water is getting too and through the shower, but the lecki thought it might be the solanoid........so I bought a new shower........he fitted it this morning, and exactly the same problem...the shower won't work and when you turn it on the led light on the main switch goes off............however more disconcertingly, the small auxiliary fuse trip box just doesn't trip out on any of these proceedures,which carries all but the shower and extension lights.........
 and yet if a bulb blows the fuse trips on the main house fuse trip box
any ideas please as we are (excuse the pun) groping in the dark!!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #527 on: April 30, 2012, 12:18:30 pm »

Just a thought Neil - and this could be the dumb idea mentioned earlier -  is the water supply of sufficient pressure?
Has something happened in or out of the house to reduce pressure? Power is there but a low pressure sensor won't
allow heating to take place is my thinking.

Also you say 'I have helped my electrician to sort out the wiring to the shower ( which is very perplexing to say the least) I can give it a few more coats.'
Painting the shower unit is not a good idea and with your record the colour is probably a shade out too.

Dave

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »

forget the shower and have a bath?

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2012, 08:38:32 pm »

Hi Neil if you don't wash soon I will be able to smell you from here, Talk to Dave he is an expert on bathtubs. I would say about your boat colours that when we look at it on our monitors they all have slight colour differences, I have double monitors on my computer & your paint colours look different from one monitor to the other. Also all the painters that I have asked have told me on many occasions to always check your colours under natural light & NEVER under tube lighting of any kind as there are several different colour casts from different tubes & they even change from one manufacturer to another despite been listed as the same light value. As an aside, when you are running machines under tube lighting you should also have incandescent light to eliminate the strobe effect you get with tube lighting for safety reasons. Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #530 on: April 30, 2012, 09:11:22 pm »

cheers for that Mick..........I'll pull it out into the garden tomorrow to have a look seems like good advice to me , thanks.

well, after an dayus horribillis where I might have to take the bathroom tiles off and the stud walling apart to get at the wiring because ther eis a break somewhere between the switch and the shower......and I don't relish that we are back to having baths for the time being.......don't bother me as I love a wallow.........just like a hippo, but my wife and kids hate baths.....it was down to doing a little modelling.
So!,
Now that the colour scheme has finally been sorted out I can now finally get down to painting and fitting the fittings cast for the models onto the right positions...started this evening by just adding a little detailing to the funnels of the 3 boats..the Klaxon horns, and the support brackets and the mast crutches that fit to the H F Bailey and the Mary Stanford.

The "Smuts" doesn't have a mast crutch as she folds her mast forward. the Klaxons I haven't fitted yet as these will be painted seperately black and brass, but the brackets and crutches will be sprayed with the funnels in a creamy yellowy buff colour

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #531 on: April 30, 2012, 09:22:38 pm »

please note folks, not only can he build 3 Lifeboats at one time, but he can also watch "countdown" on telly at the same time ! Who said we males cant multi task??? I bet he plays with his submarine in the bath as well!! Up periscope?
Good work my friend
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #532 on: April 30, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

no mate...my little lifeboat......... {-) {-) {-) {-)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #533 on: April 30, 2012, 10:03:19 pm »

Hi Neil I should have added to my last post that one in five males are colour blind, that is a medical fact, mostly to the colours of brown, green & red, I am not sure which we see for what or how we get them mixed up, I am sure there is a bit of infro somewhere on the net. This is from my RAF days as you could not have access to drive on an airfield if you were colour blind.(not me I was O/K) Mick B.
Mick B.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #534 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »

ok I admit defeat on this one  of course it had to be a lifeboat

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #535 on: April 30, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »

Now folks ....here is a cunundrum ( speaking of Countdown)....that I have no answer to. and is open to all Lifeboat officionado's, anoracks ,  the very knowledgeable amongst you all and just about any one of you that might have an idea

Pictured below is a shot of the RNLB Field Marshall and Mrs Smuts on her naming ceremony around 1945/6.
In fact she was on station by the 25th September, 1945 just 6 weeks after the dropping of the Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima. So the country was still at war.

She was therefore built during the war period....something rare indeed as there were few built

She was also out of the many hundred's built over the years, only 1 of three boats built by a company called Morgan Giles of Teignmouth in all the years of motor lifeboats for the RNLI.

She was also one of only three boats of this design to be penned, and one of only two to be completed...the other being the RNLB Millie Walton earmarked for Douglas I O M but eventually stationed after the first few months of her life at Cromer to become the RNLB Henry Blogg.

So here is the question, and reading between the lines are the clues I think....and quite unusual.

On the port side of the forward cabin at the aft end, can be seen a plate ( looks like a steel plate ) rivetted onto the wooden canopy/cockpit of the boat.  
This doesn't appear on the sister boat, the Henry Blogg, but on the starboard side of boat boats in the center of the same position sits a motor driven capstan.
Was this a cockup on the part of the builder ( and therefore never offered another build contract) where they put the capstan on the wrong side originally, or was it war damage of some sort or even protection for the helmsman...........more questions than answers I think........but it is safe to say........I'll not be putting it on my model, as it would spoil what she should have originally looked  like.......and apparently this steel plate was kept on her throughout her whole service life............very strange...........and I have never seen this on a lifeboat before.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:07 pm »

Hi Neil if you don't wash soon I will be able to smell you from here, Talk to Dave he is an expert on bathtubs. I would say about your boat colours that when we look at it on our monitors they all have slight colour differences, I have double monitors on my computer & your paint colours look different from one monitor to the other. Also all the painters that I have asked have told me on many occasions to always check your colours under natural light & NEVER under tube lighting of any kind as there are several different colour casts from different tubes & they even change from one manufacturer to another despite been listed as the same light value. As an aside, when you are running machines under tube lighting you should also have incandescent light to eliminate the strobe effect you get with tube lighting for safety reasons. Mick B.

If Australia, if you want good colour rendition with fluorescent light tubes we use "daylight" tubes and not "warm white" or "white".

Daylight tubes are installed in work environments where colour is important eg Bank tellers handling bank notes.

I use daylight tubes in my model  and workshop areas. You can also get daylight bulbs in the small compact energy saving fluoro tubes.

They may appear brighter but equate to natural light hence name daylight
Gunna build those other boats one day.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #537 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:19 pm »

I use the Full Spectrum Daylight Bulbs , great for reading colour codes etc great bench lights and handy for taking Pictures

Peter

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #538 on: May 01, 2012, 08:08:16 am »

I use the daylight tubes too & you can buy extra bright ones that give far superior light than the regular ones @ double the cost though.The 4 ft. ones are now been discontinued & replaced with skinny 2 ft ones for energy efficiency but @ double the cost too. Mick B.
Mick B.

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #539 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:24 am »

I suppose they could have mistakenly put the capstan on the wrong side, but is it likely that the boatyard would make that mistake? Granted this was one of three boats they had the contracts for, so maybe they weren't particularly good.

War damage I think is even less likely. Were there any raids in Teignmouth in '45? (it's a bit before my time). I'dve thought that if any raids would only be reaching as far as London if that at that point.

I think protection for the helmsman is least likely, as the Millie Walton was built first and she didn't have it.

I think boatyard error is probably it, but that plate looks fairly crude.

Andrew

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2012, 11:52:03 am »

I wouldn't think a yard like Morgan Giles would have made a mistake like that.
During the war they built over a 100 MTB's Harbour launches and pinnaces.
After the war they built two Gay class,two Dark Class and two Ham Class so I
think they knew what they were doing!

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2012, 12:02:44 pm »

as you guys say.....it's a mystery....but a very strange one and the crew at the time didn't know why it turned up from the builders yard with it covering a large proportion of the cabin?...I don't think it was meant to be there unless a repair.........Possibly because it was built during the war, where natural rescources were very scarce, that was the only way to go, if a mistake had been made.....this was the only boat of class that Morgan Giles built though.they didn't build RNLB Henry Blogg

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2012, 07:14:23 pm »

hi ya Neil

You are doing a good job on 2 fronts

1 with the build and the other with converting me from a 'grey boy' to an orange and blue boy :-)

Ive been thinking about the picture that you have put on concerning the plate which is fastened to the side of the cabin.   How does this grab you for a theory.

Knowing the lifeboat guys are a lot like the navy guys - if its not right - they dont accept - so I dont think this plate has been put on as a bodge by the builders.  Wondering if the initial design of the lifeboat required an opening in the side to facilitate the removal of say, buoyancy tanks for repair/inspection or fuel tanks.  This is one possibility; the other one is that without what was supposed to be on the inside of the cabin - was there supposed to be some heavy machinery mounted there originally? that is a possibility - I favour the idea of an access hatch for the removal of something out of that area of the boat.   I have seen this done before, where 2 boats have been built in different yards, supposedly from the same set of plans but one boat has been modified because its been further through the build than the 2nd boat.

just food for thought there

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #543 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:13 pm »

John.the cabin is just an open space inside, with two pedistals with wheels on top for forward/reverse of the engines, and the pedistal for the compass and wheel....also there is a steel bulkhead to the front with a w/t door leading down below. the bulkhead contains all the dials and switches for the engine controls.
the cabin at that point is just two 3/8" thick diagonally planked on battens......so I personally think that the capstan fitted to the side of the cabin on the starboard side, was mistakenly put on that side, and had to be covered and reinforced just prior to handing over.

and hey lads.how about a Mayhem holiday boat...we all chip in and draw straws for holiday times......cos this beaut is for sale..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXd9Gp55LjE

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #544 on: May 01, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »

Price?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #545 on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:52 pm »

no idea Dan.......I couldn't find one......Iain Crosbie owner of 002 who sent me the link might know if you are interested.....are you a euro lottery winner though....you'll need it for fuel costs, lol

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #546 on: May 01, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »

hi ya Neil
You are doing a good job on 2 fronts
1 with the build and the other with converting me from a 'grey boy' to an orange and blue boy :-)
john
John..we're always happy to receive converts from the grey funnel line %% %% %%

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »

Well interested and not interested Neil.  %%

Im more of a bayliner guy although an ex rnli trent would be very nice indeed.

Fuel seems to be killing everything these days..

Dan

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #548 on: May 01, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »

nah..matey..you want steel under ya.

Trents go soggy on the bottom after a while, {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #549 on: May 01, 2012, 09:13:13 pm »

well, less of the dreaming about big boats......and back to reallity.
I set out my vents, cowls , funnels and other larger bits and pieces this evening and gave them a first coat of primer....had to make a start as there are so many fittings to go on......if I can get all the fittings sprayed in batches whilst I put three transport  stands together it will make life easier once I have sprayed the hulls in the next week or so.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 40   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.