Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.  (Read 322612 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.
« Reply #775 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:12 pm »

today I got a little more pleasure out of my build, knowing that I wasn't fighting a losing battle rushing to get them ready, and could build at my own pace.........

I sprayed up all the vents and funnels for the boats.......three different colours for three different boats.........the ones that look grey are in fact a light cream for the Mary Stanford...........must be the light in the shed.

the first photo is of the under coat for the vents.

I'll then have to paint the insides of the cowls with red, by hand.......all twenty of them...............luvvly jubbly...that should keep me quiet tomorrow, lol

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #776 on: June 12, 2012, 09:52:41 pm »

And finally for tonight, a few shots of the boats with the increasing number of fittings in place....(even although only temporary at the moment.)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #777 on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:10 am »

Beautiful work Neil & I am glad that you are taking the time to do it @ your very best. The boats & the finish are more important in every way, lot more than making a show deadline. Shows you can do when everything is ready & finished properly & you are not presenting something half baked.The volume of work you have done over the last few months boggles the mind, you have hardly missed a day. I think I speak for most of our fellow Mayhemer's here that we are very grateful for what you have done with this build & all you have shared with us, thank you, Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #778 on: June 13, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »

Thanks Mick...............it's surprising that when you aren't rushing to a deadline.....you can actually do more work.......with less mistakes.

did a goodly amount this morning......fitted all anchor brackets, including the deck brackets for holding the spare anchor on th engine casing of the Mary Stanford.

painted all the bell mouths red for the cowl vents......and had a lovely chat with my "guru" Glyn, ex crew member of the "Smuts"

been a very productive morning.
neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #780 on: June 13, 2012, 01:17:02 pm »

that's splendid news Dave..........somewhere to go for a sail and a picnic.
lovely.
neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #781 on: June 13, 2012, 07:19:28 pm »

Anchor Davit , cable stopper and cablle cutter have now been added permenantly to the Mary Stanford.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #782 on: June 17, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »

it's amazing as you get towards the end of you start finding bits and pieces that you have forgotten to do, forgotten to make and even bits that you haven't a clue as to what they are because you've never come across them before..............

so I'll start with the thing I have forgotten to make first of all.........the rope bins for the Mary Stanford and the H F Bailey........these go inside the aft end of the rear cockpits in both models and were made from good old obeche strip, and then painted and fixed into place.

Secondly, and something I have been putting off for a while is the servo for the rudder for the Mary Stanford, which if you cast your minds back to before I put the deck on, it was fixed into a purpose built holder.............I inserted this into place, locked it into place, and then set about making the linkage bar ( which from the photos is self explanatory and set this onto the servo arm which I screwd in place.

The final set of photos are of the plans of the Mary stanford around the fore end of the engine casing and mast tabernackle..............my finger points to the object that looks like a mast crutch...............but it is set about 18" to the port side of the mast tabernackle and so can't be a crutch for the mast..............so come on guys..........any idea as to what it is...................I have emailed Quinton Nelsod in Donaghadee to ask him, but as yet haven't got a clue.

oh yeh.......and the tube that runs up the front of the mast of the mary stanford..............half expecting that one to be some conduit for wiring like on the Smuts.

neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #783 on: June 17, 2012, 08:39:14 pm »

{:-{

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #784 on: June 17, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »

What's the matter Neil ? - that last post makes you look glum?

Dave

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #785 on: June 17, 2012, 10:17:46 pm »

He is already getting withdrawal symptoms.Perhaps the thought that he might now have time to  do a big clean up in the shed!
   Don't do it Neil,you won't be able to find anything!
Mick F

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #786 on: June 17, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »

can't find anything now........so it wouldn't be too much of a change, lol %% %% %%........

sad face was because I posted the above with pics twice, dave so removed the post and put a puzzlwed face in it's place.......not glum........just finding little bit that I missed and having to construct them as I go, and this sets back the finishing day.........but when that is, gawd knows...........not too far away though.
neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #787 on: June 17, 2012, 10:29:10 pm »

{-) maybe that's it

Hey Neil if it's a modelling problem - you know you can rely on me to be utterly useless. O0

But for a joke or something to read I'm your man. Here's a nice little article
It mentions the William cantrell Ashley and it's about The Fowler Tractor - two things I have been looking for.
http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utilities/action/act_download.cfm?mediaid=34768&langtoken=eng

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #788 on: June 17, 2012, 10:30:13 pm »

cross posted there Neil

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #789 on: June 18, 2012, 05:52:08 am »

Well, I've got over my hissy fit from yesterday.......nothing seemed to go right and I realised that I was not going to get the models finished for a show in two weekend's time which is devoted soley to RNLI and other SAR modelsand I was a little upset.
I started off by making ( or trying to) the wind/spray screens for the three boats.
when I made the Anne Lettitia Russell and ( I think) the Liverpool class boat I made the surrounds to the screens from "U" shaped brass extrusion, and it worked well...........but yesterday, after spending hours cutting, mitreing and then surrounding the screens with the brass.............it looked.................well s****, is the only word I can discribe it with.

So I re cut all the plastic screens, and decided to trim the edges with black vynil sticky tape..........the next disaster.......and by this time I was getting a little persisted off........as the adhesive on the vynil wasn't strong enough to hold the tape to the screen..................

so, I went back to basics, and decided to use my tried and tested double sided sticking tape that I use to stick windows and framed to superstructures.
I stuck this to the adhesive on the sticky back vynil and then stuck the vynil to the screens..........partial success but the tape still was having a tendancy to lift from the screens...........so in the end I put all the screens between two layers of conti boards and stuck 3 large car batteries on top to weigh them down, and brought the whole thing in doors to sit for a couple of days..........hopefully the vynil will get fed up trying to seperate and stay stuck......if not I'll then try the whole thing again but use black paper and double sided tape...........now that whole excercise took me the best part of yesterday without probable success................so you can now imagine why I was fed up last night.
Today have been spraying vents and other little jobs.....but that's another story.

Re the window frames.... have you considered this stuff?
http://www.petersspares.com/cgi/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=copper&search.x=0&search.y=0&PR=-1&TB=A

I was using it the other day to run some discreet lighting wiring on the Girls Dolls house.  We run the copper tape up the walls and accross the ceiling as a power bus then wallpapered and painted over the top.
Had me thinking that perhaps you could try it on the window frames.
If it doesnt work, its good to have around the workshop
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #790 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:42 am »

hey!.....that looks good essex..................how strong is the stickyness of the stuff..................I think I'll order some of that, and if the stuff I've put on does lift I'll give that a go............at the moment the frames are still under the press of 3 large car batteries.
cheers, neil.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #791 on: June 18, 2012, 08:17:10 am »

hey!.....that looks good essex..................how strong is the stickyness of the stuff

Its quite sticky.... so far never had any lift on me and I've used it quite a bit for lighting power inside model railway buildings (plastic and card) and as a lighting bus under the board

Ill be using some do the cabin lighting on my huntsman with a couple of sprung plunger pickups from my train bits box to make a plug free connection on the superstructure

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #792 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:56 am »

I'll get some ordered just in case all else fails, %% %%

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #793 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:57 am »

like I said if it doesn't work for that I'm sure a man of your calibre will find plenty of other uses for it :)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #794 on: June 18, 2012, 09:45:49 pm »

I'll use it for taping my gobby daughter's mouth up........save my sanity, lol %% %% %% %% %% %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #795 on: June 18, 2012, 09:52:41 pm »

It has come to the stage now where I have only miriads of little jobs to do to the three models..........I had a visit from Glyn and his wife today, and we had a lovely chat about the boat, which included a few bits to re position that were different to those positions shown on plans, and a few bits not shown on plan............in the end, I could fill another page of mayhem with photos of the little bits that I had done..................but I won't..................I'll save the photos for when I have finished the models........hopefully next week and then will post some of the finished boats.........

just save to to say that the list below is of items we discussed today, items I compleated this afternoon, and those items that I need to do to finish the boats.

1) Roller fairlead added to starb side front cockpit

2) voice pipes to fore and aft cabins

3) hand grab rails to top sides of fore cabin

4) hand grab rails to upper aft of rear cabin.

5) Painted helmsmans back rest as discussed.

6) Added engine control to starb side fore cabin false wall.

7) added several buttons and switches to control panel

8) added fire extinguishes to fore and aft cabins.

9) added clock to fore cabin.

10) added loud hailer to aft cabin top.

11) added 4 x search light pedestals to fore and aft cabins and one search light

12) box for line throwing gun painted and fixed to position discussed.

13) oil pump repositioned.

14) axes, hatchets and knives fixed into position.

15) header tank filler caps added to aft cabin top

16) glued rope bins to side "barge boards" ready for fixing to engine casing top.

17) painted mast fittings a second coat of white.

Jobs still to do:

1) make the tiller arm

2) cap for tiller socket

3) Button for Klaxon.

4) binoculars and megaphone.

5) drogue to be made.

6) add the two fenders bnow and stern.

7) tool holder at stern cockpit wall

8) screen wiper for fore cabin. .

9).buffers for wind screens

10) cleats for aft mast .

11)  Pullies for radio lines and radio lines

12) .plank the sides of the aft cockpit where it meets the engine casing/barge boards .

13) Paint deck and the vent cowl bases

14) .Glue cowl vents to decks

15) .rig masts

16) rig stanchions

17) top cap for the black conduit up the fore mast.

18)  fit the navigation, anchor and steaming lights.

Oh yes, and fit the r/c gear into the boats..........got to find some motors for them yet, and buy some speed controllers.

daren't tell the missud, lol %% %% %% {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #796 on: June 18, 2012, 10:02:40 pm »

{-) maybe that's it

Hey Neil if it's a modelling problem - you know you can rely on me to be utterly useless. O0

But for a joke or something to read I'm your man. Here's a nice little article
It mentions the William cantrell Ashley and it's about The Fowler Tractor - two things I have been looking for.
http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utilities/action/act_download.cfm?mediaid=34768&langtoken=eng

Dave

Thats a nice little item on the Fowler,and  quite a good photo too.Wish I saw it before I made and stuck the number plates on my model,ah well I will take them off and re do them,as I have them all in a straight line,instead of the letters over the top of the numbers.At least I have the correct numberplate ,it being OXO 323, or as I have just found out
OXO

Mick F

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #797 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:26 pm »

Hi Mick - I found that article whilst looking for what you had asked for on the Fowler thread.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #798 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »

No worries,it was certainly informative for me! I need to know where to get some suitable old fashioned type headlamps now.All I get on my search engine are lights for american police cars etc.I am sure I remember seeing some stainless "conical" shape headlights a few years ago,but cant find anything now.

Sorry Neil, dont mean to hijack your thread.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #799 on: June 18, 2012, 11:14:17 pm »

no worries............have you tried cutting the ball from an under arm deoderant dispenser in half for your headlamps..............next best thing to Lucas King of the road lamps.
neil.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.