Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 125447 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marks "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2021, 07:40:40 pm »

Cheers mate its certainly giving me some headaches - btw you've got all of this coming with your scratch build.  Its demanding but for some weird reason very satisfying when you've actually worked out what the drawings mean  {-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2021, 01:19:24 am »

I’ve had great difficulties getting my head round all of this build. I’ve never seen anything as complicated. The paper templates stuck to the wood, do you cut them from the plans or do you copy them?  If copied first are there any problems with scale changes from the copying?  The hull appears to be almost solid framing to which the final planking will just seal the tiny gaps. What type of tools do you use in the mill? Are they for metal or specifically for wood? It’s fascinating but as it comes together things become a little clearer.

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2021, 08:52:48 am »

I’ve had great difficulties getting my head round all of this build. I’ve never seen anything as complicated. The paper templates stuck to the wood, do you cut them from the plans or do you copy them?  If copied first are there any problems with scale changes from the copying?  The hull appears to be almost solid framing to which the final planking will just seal the tiny gaps. What type of tools do you use in the mill? Are they for metal or specifically for wood? It’s fascinating but as it comes together things become a little clearer.

Jerry C.

Hi Jerry good to hear from you  :-))

I photocopy the plans to get the templates to save the original plans.  This works OK for small pieces but I have had an issue with long pieces as the photocopying alters them a bit.  I did go to a printers and have some of the large parts copied professionally but even this altered the dimensions slightly.  I've still not yet found a way of copying them exactly.  This does cause me problems as I have to allow for these errors which is difficult.

You are right about the ships being nearly solidly framed and this was pretty much standard construction of this type of vessel.  They only had one layer of planking on the outside which varied in thickness depending on where it was on the hull.  As much detailed effort also was put in on the planking inside the hull too.

I'm using twin flute end mills which are good for soft metals and wood.  I use twin flute as they get the chippings out go the way very quickly.  They are made of tungsten carbide and I get about 10 hours milling out of them before they go blunt.  Luckily they are fairly cheap due to the CNC industry who seem to use a lot of bits like this.

It will all start to make sense soon once I start the frame assembly  :-)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2021, 09:18:34 am »

Thanks for that Mark. I’ve made a tool to hold my Dremel in my lathe tool holder. I’ve been searching for the right size grinding wheel to fit. Got one today in Bunnings (B&Q) so I can resharpen worn end mills using the lathe chuck as an indexer. Cheap and cheerful. I’m fitting my cheap DRO kit atm.
Keep up the good work matey.

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2021, 04:56:03 pm »

I've got some more done today.  I've now finished milling out the rebates and also turned the parts around as there was another rebate on the other side which required cutting.

I've also bevelled one of the parts which was a lot harder than I thought that it would be.  Its the steep and varying angles which make it tricky but it turned out ok.

Here it is attached without glue to the sternpost knee extension

I'll try and finish the other three parts next weekend

Mark  :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2021, 05:49:13 pm »

Words fail me Mark... but already there's a hint of what's to come - your ability to work in wood shows through and the project itself is fascinating... Good work mate  :-))

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2021, 02:11:16 pm »

Thanks Ray  :-))

I've got some more done this weekend.  I've now finished shaping the rest of the transom pieces.

Here you can now see the shape of the transom which is starting to come together.  The parts are only slotted in they are not yet glued in place.

My next job is to make the two side pieces of the transom which tie all of the parts together.  They are called the "fashion pieces" and look particularly tricky to make but I'll give them a go.

Cheers Mark  :-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2021, 03:59:33 pm »

Hi all - sorry for the lack of updates but I started some decorating at home which has turned into a full blown building job so I'm fitting the ship building in-between.

So what have I been doing - well finding more patience than I thought that I would ever have. 

I discovered that just because I had made the parts for the transom did not mean that they would all fit perfectly together.  Wow what a challenge this turned into for me!  To get all of the parts to line up so that all of the joints were nice a square and that the shape of the transom was also correct was far more difficult that I thought it would be. 

I managed to pretty much ruin the first set of lower transom parts that I made in my efforts to get the fashion pieces to fit correctly.  It then took a week of soaking in IPA to get them unstuck as the joints were tight without the glue.

So here is what I learnt - leave the templates on all of the parts after gluing them together so that you have a reference to what you are trying to sand too. Without them I was just sanding blind which just made things worse.  Also leave enough on the parts for the fairing of them - I'm starting to get better at this.

[/size][/font]

[/size]Anyway the results are in the pictures below and quite frankly I think that this is about the best I can do at this stage of my ship building experience.  I have also added the small wedges that are required between the wing transom and the fashion pieces. The next job is to start installing the frames.  Wow what a few weeks this has been however I have to admit I did enjoy doing it though!![/color]

:-))

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2021, 04:54:55 pm »

Simply stunning well done

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2021, 05:48:14 pm »

Simply stunning well done

Thanks - its coming on slowly  :-))   The next stages will actually make it look like a ship!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2021, 11:47:55 am »

Hi All

I have at last started the installation of the frames  :-))   Firstly though I had to re-work by building frame as I had followed the wrong line on the drawings. It was a days work but it needed to be right.

The very first frame glued to the rising wood - what a moment  %%

Then I glued in the keelson chock which has a rebate cut into it which is part of the ships limber system.  This allows water in the bilge to flow towards the pumps to be removed from the ship.

Then the second frame was installed as well as the lower and upper frame chocks.

The chocks will be shaped to the hull when I eventually get around to fairing the hull inside and out.

I've got 32 frames to install so I'll just do a few updates as I go along

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2021, 12:28:41 pm »

Very high quality work and looking good.
Note to the moderators, is it not time that this is promoted to the masterclass section or will this have to wait until the build is completed.?
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2021, 12:38:00 pm »

Hi Jim and thanks for your comments  :-))   I'd wait as I reckon the completion date will be about 2023 as its got a ships boat to go in it too.........well if I stay the course.  I am finding this extremely challenging to say the least mate  O0

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2021, 06:49:22 pm »

Lovely work Mark.  Raising the frames really does turn a load of flat pieces into a 3-D shape that looks like a ship.  I am still in awe of the precision and care you show in your work.   :o :o

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2021, 08:19:49 pm »

Hi Greg and cheers mate  :-))   I've been trying to get to this moment for ages and hopefully everyone will start to see an actual ship soon.  As for precision - well its ok but I do have some extremely well drawn plans.  If anyone wants to see or buy excellent plans have at look on Ancre's website and have a good look at any plans drawn by Gerard Delacroix.  I don't think that you can buy better............Gerard is actually watching my build and offers me advice and support what more can I say  :-))   No pressure there then  {-)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2021, 12:47:47 pm »

As for precision - well its ok but I do have some extremely well drawn plans.  If anyone wants to see or buy excellent plans have at look on Ancre's website and have a good look at any plans drawn by Gerard Delacroix.  I don't think that you can buy better............Gerard is actually watching my build and offers me advice and support what more can I say  :-))   No pressure there then  {-)
Don't put yourself down, even with the best plans it's your skill with wood that shows up most.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2021, 04:15:43 pm »

Thanks Jim  :-))

A few more frames were raised today - things seem to be going quite well at the moment

My Heath Robinson way of checking that the frames are square to the base board - it seems to work ok

The next few frames moving towards the stem require me to make bespoke chocks.  As the frames rise up the apron so the chocks follow.  It shouldn't be too hard to do.

Mark  :-)

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2021, 04:39:51 pm »

Hi,
      Being a time served Carpenter who can make most things in wood by hand I have to say how much the standard of your work has impressed me! You have what looks like a great workshop and your methods of dealing with the tricky curves and angles are brilliant. Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2021, 08:14:46 pm »

It must give you great pleasure to see it come together, it certainly does me  :-)
Notably a quite amazing assembly jig too  O0

My JB arrives tomorrow  8)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2021, 08:44:50 pm »

Hi,
      Being a time served Carpenter who can make most things in wood by hand I have to say how much the standard of your work has impressed me! You have what looks like a great workshop and your methods of dealing with the tricky curves and angles are brilliant. Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Thanks Pete - some of the angles are very trying to say the least.  I'm looking forward to making something with just straight 45 degree joints  {-)

It must give you great pleasure to see it come together, it certainly does me  :-)
Notably a quite amazing assembly jig too  O0

My JB arrives tomorrow  8)

Hi Andy - yep its starting to go 3D now  :-))   Your going to love your first JB tool.  My order goes in this week  :-)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2021, 08:48:01 pm »

I'll do some unpacking pictures  O0  and when my XRP crypto goes ballistic I'll buy the full set   :}
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2021, 08:33:16 am »

Hi All

Some more done the Le Rochefort  :-))

I made up the rising spacers for in-between frames 1 - 4 as per the plans

Frames 1 and 2 have a small 2mm tenon to locate them onto the apron.  I didn't have any 2mm wooden dowel so I used brass instead

The final 4 forward frames were then fitted; here are some pictures with and without the holding bands

I really like this picture of the rising chocks between the rising frames.  They rise up to meet the stemson which sits on top and locks them into place but this will be made later.

The next job is to start installing the frames towards the stern.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2021, 08:06:48 pm »

**''''^%$£@ ing hell, awesome mark, I'll go back to hacking metal and bin my woodworking hammer. Brilliant (o us humbled oiks)

Question, how will you finish the wood, varnish, banana oil, etc
Steamed up all the time

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2021, 08:17:48 pm »

**''''^%$£@ ing hell, awesome mark, I'll go back to hacking metal and bin my woodworking hammer. Brilliant (o us humbled oiks)

Question, how will you finish the wood, varnish, banana oil, etc

Hi ya mate  {-)   Its coming on but so many problems ahead I only think about the part I'm working on.  Otherwise I've found it gets a bit too much for me.

I think I'm going to finish it in thinned down polyurethane or as the Americans call it "wipe on poly".  But if it turns out not so good I'll spray it  {-)

Next stages are to fit the rear frames toward the stern but to do this there are a couple of very tricky parts to make.  I'll keep you up to date.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2021, 12:18:35 am »

I’m lost for words! I mean it. Just a thought, there’s a trend I’ve noticed in other builds similar, to not add the final planking so as to expose the hidden workmanship involved in the construction, a bit like the centre fold of the Eagle comic????

My old school training ship which I joined from WGS. Three amazing years.

Jerry C.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.