Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 122283 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2022, 09:47:33 pm »

Hiya Mark, I think Joe's comments are spot on and we see the problem in your latest update. Also, you've come up with a possible solution already.
I'm sure you'll eventually get it sorted mate  :-) .

Aye,
Ray.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #301 on: June 14, 2022, 09:22:21 am »

As has been said, we are all confident you will fix your splendid model, and if you hadn't mentioned it then nobody would have spotted anything amiss.  And I'm sure that the full size had plenty of modifications and repairs as it went through its life, so your "repair" will simply reflect real life!

Are you now working on the hull outside the building jig, or do you just remove it for taking pictures?

Greg

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2022, 12:02:32 pm »

Hey Mark

Just had a catch up on the thread, stunning work..!

David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2022, 12:26:08 pm »

Hi Ray, Greg and David

Thanks for the nice comments   :-))

The reason that I need to sort out this error is because if I don’t the planking will not run around the stern very well at all. The bends are very tight to say the least and in fact the first bend underneath the whale has to be carved from a solid piece. I’m sure I’ll sort it out but I reckon I’ve caused myself about 3 extra weeks of repair work but hey it’s not a race  {-)

Once I’ve sorted this out I’ll fit the whale plank and also the one underneath it and then I’ll start working on the inside. There’s quite a lot of detail in there and I’m looking forward to starting something other than the frame.

It’s out of the jig now as the frame is finished and wow is it strong. I’m actually surprised just what a strong structure it is.

I’ll keep you updated as I start the laminating and hopefully that will give me a fix out of this

Cheers Mark

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2022, 10:49:10 am »

Hi All

The great news is I've been back to the drawings and all is not as bad as I first thought.  Its only really the transom top filling piece thats wrong as I've squared the top of it off instead of tapering it out.

The second big win is that I never cut the required rabbet corner radius into the wing transom and cutting this will take away about 60% of the overall issue.

So I'm laminating the top transom timber with 0.5mm strips and I think about 3 strips will sort it out.

As always I'll let you know how it goes but I think I've been a bit lucky this time  :-)

Mark

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2022, 10:53:44 am »

Great to see your latest update Mark and hope this potential solution works out well for you mate.

Aye,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2022, 02:45:15 pm »

Thanks Ray  :-))   To be honest this is easy compared to changing a integrated washing machine to another make which I had to do yesterday.  Yep 8 hours to fit a washing machine as I had to re-hang the door, rework the plumbing and cut and alter the kick panels.  Never again  {-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2022, 04:12:49 pm »

Its sorted  :-)) :-)) :-))

After laminating the top transom timber I sanded it to shape and also carved the radius's onto the wing transom.  It all now lines up nicely the way it should of in the first place and actually doesn't look to bad either.

I've also been stocking up on some Castello wood - 6 planks at 13mm thick so this should keep me going for a while  O0

So upwards and onwards and the next job is the whale.  I can't do any work now though for about 4 weekends as we are off to Corfu for 2 weeks and I have some other stuff to do as well.

When I'm back and building I'll get another update up]

Cheers Mark

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: June 25, 2022, 04:26:37 pm »

I knew you'd crack it mate and it looks fine to me (though I'm no expert).

Well, enjoy your holiday Mark and I hope you will get the chance to relax and recharge your batteries, as they say.

Aye,
Ray.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #309 on: June 25, 2022, 05:42:02 pm »

Have a great holiday Mark, and we are all looking forward to resumption of the build.  (I bet that castello needed a second mortgage, judging by the price of other wood at the moment!  Is that why there are only 5 planks supplied when you thought there were 6?  %% )

Greg

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: June 25, 2022, 06:25:49 pm »

It just gets better and better Mark, your patience is a real testament model building (I should learn !! )
And as an aside.... brilliant photography.....I hope you have even more phhotos  to record a most beautiful build.
P
Steamed up all the time

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: June 25, 2022, 07:18:03 pm »

Thanks lads - and yes there are only 5 planks  {-)  I told you that I needed a holiday  %%

The price of wood in the UK believe it or not is relatively cheap compared to the US. This wood cost £200 and there’s enough to build an entire ship. I’m just stocking up a bit what with things being a bit unstable in the world at present.

Thanks for the support and I’ll be back before you know it  :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2022, 10:31:19 am »

Just a quick aside as I had a spare hour today  :-))   I needed to make the dreaded tree nails for the planking and I have successfully used a simple technique that was shown to me by a fellow builder.

I need 0.9mm nails so I bought some 16g piercing needles and cut a slight bevel on the end.  I then drilled loads of holes into a scrap piece of wood but not all of the way through.

I then sanded the back of the piece down on a face sander to release the nails.

It took no time at all and I've made about 250 high quality Castello nails.

So if you ever need to make nails give this easy method a try  - Cheers Mark

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #313 on: July 03, 2022, 11:24:04 am »

Good mass production method there Mark, I think the only nails I'll need in my models are the 1 inch steel variety fitted with  claw hammer  :}2

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: July 03, 2022, 12:01:26 pm »

Good mass production method there Mark, I think the only nails I'll need in my models are the 1 inch steel variety fitted with  claw hammer  :}2

Joe

Yea I'm really glad that I found this method as I used a draw plate before which takes ages and is not easy to use  :-))

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #315 on: July 03, 2022, 06:12:42 pm »

Hi Mark,
    As a time serve Joiner I am seriously impressed with the quality of your work, we had to do everything by hand (i.e. handplanes and spokeshaves) but the most impressive thing for me is your patience and precision in getting all the tricky shapes correct!
     Keep up the good work I am following it all.
                Cheers, Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: July 04, 2022, 03:40:08 am »

Hi Mark , that's a pretty impressive way of making those small dowels or tree nails, pardon the ignorance but never seen a piercing needle before ?. You probably don't want these sort of suggestions  <*< but would be interesting to see you build 2 of these models one to the framed up stage to show all that beautiful timber work and the other fully finished stage , cheers .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: July 04, 2022, 06:29:48 pm »

Hi Mark,
    As a time serve Joiner I am seriously impressed with the quality of your work, we had to do everything by hand (i.e. handplanes and spokeshaves) but the most impressive thing for me is your patience and precision in getting all the tricky shapes correct!
     Keep up the good work I am following it all.
                Cheers, Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Thanks Pete - This model is pretty much an exercise in joinery and I’m learning as I go. I’ve found that if the joints and shapes are not exact it has a bad knock on effect somewhere else.

Hi Mark , that's a pretty impressive way of making those small dowels or tree nails, pardon the ignorance but never seen a piercing needle before ?. You probably don't want these sort of suggestions  <*< but would be interesting to see you build 2 of these models one to the framed up stage to show all that beautiful timber work and the other fully finished stage , cheers .

Hi Brian - I had never heard of piercing needles either but they are the needles that people use pierce their bodies with to fit jewellery.  They are available on eBay and they are much stronger than hypodermic needles.
As for the framing I’m not going to fully agree plank this model. I’m going to leave parts of the planking off so that the frames can be seen in places.

Cheers Mark

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: July 05, 2022, 11:45:47 am »

Hi Mark, thank you  for explaining that  ;) , keep up the good work  :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2022, 05:40:05 pm »

Hi All

Well after a fantastic holiday and a bit of a break I'm back on it  :-))

So onto the whale and the plank below it - these timbers are big in fact the whale is 10.7mm x 3.3mm which was a complete pain to bend around the bow.  The whale is made of 3 planks which are joined by scarf joints.  The plank below is slightly smaller at 10mm x 3.3mm and has simple butt joints.  A few pictures below

I've now started the very difficult plank that wraps around the stern into the wing transom rabbet.  It has to be carved due to the extremely tight curve and this is how it was done on the full size ship.  My first attempt doesn't fit accurately enough - but its pointed me in the right direction for my next attempt.

I think it will take a few attempts to get this particular plank right but I'll get there!!

Cheers Mark  :-)

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2022, 07:14:48 pm »

Hi Mark,
      Your work is very impressive a real masterclass in wood, being a time served Joiner I can appreciate the skill and patience required. Can you tell me where you obtained the clamps shown in your photos please as I could do with updating all of my old ones. Keep up the great work!
              Kind regards,
                     Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2022, 07:54:16 pm »

Hi Pete - Cheers mate its coming on albeit very slowly  :-))

I use wolfcraft clamps - I've found them to be excellent and come in all shapes and sizes.  I buy mine from Amazon as they usually have some good deals on.  Just put wolfcraft into a search and loads will come up.

Mark

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2022, 08:35:47 pm »

Very nice work on the wale Mark, especially the hooked scarf joints. This is definitely a masterwork.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: August 20, 2022, 09:49:31 pm »

Hiya Mark, great work as always and we're quite certain you'll come to a workable solution to the transom wing plank.

As has already been said, those scarf joints look fantastic - your doing really accurate work there mate. Cheers, Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #324 on: August 22, 2022, 04:23:29 pm »

Hi Jim and Ray - Thanks for the encouragement

So feeling a bit more confident I marked out both port and starboard sides this time.

I also found it easier to cut these pieces to very near to their finished size.  This gave me less material to remove and a smaller contact area on the ship.  Here's a comparison of my first and second try pieces

Anyway after hours of fettling I'm glad to say that both sides are on  %%

They are a bit rough at the moment as I need the next plank down to be fitted to get their final shape.  Funnily enough they don't look like much either  {-)

So next is to complete this strake on both sides and get some nails and tree nails into the planks.

Cheers Mark

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.