Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 126097 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #400 on: April 25, 2023, 04:54:01 pm »

Mark,
I will be following this thread with keen interest from now on….

Thanks - this is the first true scale and scratch built ship that I've tried to build.  It's enjoyable and madly frustrating at the same time.  I'm lucky because Gerald Delacroix who designed the plans I'm working from is great because he will answer any questions that I have.  There are so many little details that I really have to scrutinise; this is to ensure that its built in the correct sequence.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: May 06, 2023, 12:02:22 pm »

Hi All

Work on the deck continues - Having found the centre line I placed the templates for cutting the notches in the beams.  These notches are for the carlings, binding strakes, mast partner and pump partners.

I mainly used the mill to cut these out as there are so many of them.  They were all then finished with a chisel

Then it was a simple job of making the carlings for the hatches trying to make the joints as tight as possible

I now have to make the 8 half beams that fit alongside the hatches and the mast partner.  I think these will take me quite a while to do so I'll update you as soon as I can.

Cheers Mark

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #402 on: May 06, 2023, 05:36:57 pm »

Then it was a simple job ....

Ah, no, that's not allowed.  No simple jobs on this build please.  We have become used to you cutting impecable precision joints and carving complex curves.  If we thought any of this was simple we might start getting ideas above our station and try it ourselves!   %%

Splendid work Mark, as usual!

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: May 06, 2023, 06:00:30 pm »

Ah, no, that's not allowed.  No simple jobs on this build please.  We have become used to you cutting impecable precision joints and carving complex curves.  If we thought any of this was simple we might start getting ideas above our station and try it ourselves!   %%

Splendid work Mark, as usual!

Greg

Ha ha thanks Greg  {-)    You know what it was nice to produce something that was just a simple straight plank with no curves!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #404 on: May 06, 2023, 11:30:31 pm »

Mark.......you mentioned months ago about changing from the Proxxon mill with the aluminium table to a Shearline? mill with a iron/steel table OK, but is that a magnetic sandwich-support base we see under the PM40 Proxxon vice?

Similar to ......https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.ca%2Fen%2Fip%2FINTBUYING-Fine-Pole-Permanent-Magnetic-Chuck-For-Grinding-Machine-6-18-inch%2FPRD219DHI85XJT5&psig=AOvVaw2uLw25sSKBlJdZ7h-uvSgd&ust=1683498672854000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjM5qK03-H-AhUp43MBHbb5D0YQr4kDegUIARCxAg
Again, our humble words best describe your build progress  O0

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: May 07, 2023, 09:00:06 am »

Hi Derek

Thanks for the kind words - I did change my mill to the Sherline quite a while ago which really is an amazing machine.

Back when I had the Proxxon I needed to be able to angle the vice so I required a very small angle plate and thats what you can see.  I've carried it across to my new mill as it does the job so well.  You can see them on the website below but the cost is quite simply eye watering

https://www.renishaw.com/shop/Product.aspx?Product=R-PCA-135075-12-6&lang=en

Mark

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #406 on: May 08, 2023, 11:40:49 am »

Another small update

I've been working on making the mast partner as I need this to fit 2 of the half beams.  The first job was to make sure that I got a good fit with the carlings

These were then recessed to fit flush with the beams - I left a little on so that I have something to sand down to deck level

Next I cut the notches for the other two parts of the mast partner and the dovetails for the half beams

Nice and symmetrical

Then the other two parts of the mast partner were made in basically the same way.  The actual hole for the mast is bevelled towards the stern but this is not difficult to achieve.

The parts assembled - There are still 4 small corners to make but I will make these once the mast partner is permanently installed on the ship.

The parts on the ship between the beams

Still loads to do - Cheers Mark

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #407 on: May 13, 2023, 05:34:32 pm »

Hi All

More done on the deck - I've now made the short and thinner half beams that sit between the hatches and the mast partner

Now I did make an error as I thought that I would try and make the female part of the dovetail joint first and then fit the beam joints to suit.  This was much harder to do and the joints are not so tight.  They are ok but not as good as I would like them but at least I tried something different.  Here are the half beams fitted on the ship.

I still need to lower a few of them into the deck clamp a little more but on the whole the deck looks pretty good and I don't think its going to take much sanding at all.

The deck on this ship is unusual as the beams are not supported by hanging knees.  Instead it has a large timber called a deck shelf which is fixed to the entire length of the deck clamp.  So I need to remove all of the dry fit beams and make this large and complicated part.  Hopefully I will have something to show you soon.

Cheers Mark

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #408 on: May 13, 2023, 06:12:16 pm »

Mark it’s looking better and better, great work, your wood working is a joy to behold

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #409 on: May 13, 2023, 08:39:43 pm »

Mark it’s looking better and better, great work, your wood working is a joy to behold

Thanks DBS88 - Its my little challenge every week  - Try and improve on what I've done before.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #410 on: May 14, 2023, 06:23:43 am »

Not only is the skill level incredible, but the knowledge to go with it is simply astounding.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #411 on: May 14, 2023, 08:17:21 am »

Not only is the skill level incredible, but the knowledge to go with it is simply astounding.

Hi Footski - Its one of those things; when I set out to build this ship I wasn't really interested in ship architecture at all.  As it happens I discovered that if you don't understand the relative parts of the ship it makes the build sequencing very difficult to work out.  So I'm learning it as I go along and it's very interesting to see how the French and English had different ways of doing things.  I have quite a few books on the subject now and they are a great source of reference for me.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #412 on: May 19, 2023, 04:14:26 pm »

Hi All

I've now made a start on the deck shelves which add additional support to the beams.  They are made of 6.9mm thick Castello and run the full length of the deck

Once cut out and sanded to shape they are joined with scarf joints

The shelves do not sit at 90 degrees to the deck clamp - they point upwards slightly and follow the curvature of the deck.  So a bevel has to be cut their entire length and they also have to be let into the deck clamp for a tight fit.  Once I had achieved that I clamped them in place and used the beams themselves to mark their positions.  I need this as I have to cut a recess into the shelves for the beams.

The marking out went really well

So now I've got loads of recesses to cut and carry out the final shaping of the beams

Cheers Mark

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #413 on: May 20, 2023, 06:02:50 pm »

Outstanding Mark
Steamed up all the time

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #414 on: May 20, 2023, 10:25:43 pm »

Phil I have to be honest - This is one of those parts which when made pretty much give you an idea of how things are going.  As it runs the length of the hull if its out of shape it's going to be very obvious.  It does fit without too much fettling but I had no idea before I made them.  I still need to cut the rebates buts its a weight off my mind.  Thanks for your nice comment  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2023, 10:25:28 am »

Absolutely amazing work there Mark ,credit to you  :-)) ....
Brian  B

RichM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Ex Trawler Owner!!!
« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2023, 07:16:07 pm »

This workmanship and standard is just awe inspiring!!
Treat her like your mother, cause if you don’t, she will bite back!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #417 on: May 29, 2023, 02:46:21 pm »

Absolutely amazing work there Mark ,credit to you  :-)) ....

Thanks Brian she's coming along  :-))

This workmanship and standard is just awe inspiring!!

Thanks RichM  :-))

So another update - First up was to cut out the notches for the beams in the deck shelf

And then glue the shelf into place - this was really easy I just had to bend it a bit to match the curve of the deck clamp.

I then made and fitted the small knees that join the deck shelf to the transom

Then lastly a final dry fit of the deck to make sure that everything fitted and was correct

So my next jobs are to remove the deck and put a final finish on the inside of the hull.  I can then glue the deck in place; finish the mast partner and make the pump partners before fairing the deck.  Hopefully I'll have some more pictures next week.

Cheers Mark

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #418 on: May 30, 2023, 06:34:09 pm »

Lovely. Delightful. And all those other words that don't quite capture the pleasure we all get from following your progress.  The only sad bit is how much of your work will be almost invisible once the hull is complete.  We will have to keep referring back to this build log to remind ourselves of the earlier work!

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #419 on: June 04, 2023, 01:10:26 pm »

Hi Greg - Thanks mate - I'm only going to plank one side of the ship fully and deck one side too.  But you are right most of the work will never be seen again just like real ships I guess.

So I've been working on installing the deck beams permanently and they pretty much just clicked into place.

I then had to finish the mast partner corners which I had not made previously.  I also set the internal angle for the mast towards aft.

Next were the pump partners which are smaller versions of the mast partner.  OK I'll admit it these were hard to make due to their size  {-)

Lastly the deck was faired - another milestone in my build.  Here's a few pictures for you.

So now I need to place the nails in all of this work which is not my most favoured job.  I'll have a go at that next weekend.

Cheers Mark

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #420 on: June 04, 2023, 06:48:55 pm »

Mark, this build just get better and better, I am ashamed at my building skills.....
 :(( :(( :((
Steamed up all the time

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #421 on: June 17, 2023, 07:39:32 pm »

Mark, this build just get better and better, I am ashamed at my building skills.....
 :(( :(( :((

Phil I was hoping to make it to Mayhem - but as always the job got in the way.  It would be great to meet you all in person

So a bit more from me - I couldn't bring myself to put loads of nails in yet so I have started the waterway instead.  This is not my first attempt as that went in the bin.

Starting at the bow firstly I needed the part to fit snuggly onto the hawse timbers and still sit flat on the beams and breast hook

Now my problems really set in as I had to work from the bottom up to get the correct dimensions.

The parts were milled for the dovetails and the recess for the breast hook

A nice snug fit onto the beams

Next the camber was cut allowing for the thickness of the deck timbers and planks above

In situ

I have to say that these two pieces were pretty tricky to make but I'm there now.  More of the waterway to make now!

Cheers Mark

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #422 on: June 17, 2023, 08:19:07 pm »

Mark some very complex parts beautifully made, they look fabulous, I wish you success with the next steps, thank you for such nice updates

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #423 on: June 17, 2023, 08:57:47 pm »

Mark some very complex parts beautifully made, they look fabulous, I wish you success with the next steps, thank you for such nice updates

Thanks very much - I think that this build will run for a very long time to come and this is quite a simple ship in reality.  I still struggle a bit to understand the drawings but I'm getting there.  How they ever built these things full size in the 16th century is beyond me!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2023, 12:08:52 am »

Hi Mark....

A bit late in the game & apologies if I have missed it, [apart from Costello boxwood] but could you confirm the specie of timbers you are using for both the planking and also structural sections.....whatever they are, they certainly accept chisel work & machining to present very crisp jointings

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.