Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 122133 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marks "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2021, 11:28:20 am »

Does the parts match the drawing ?
Does the frames as built match the drawing i.e are they exactly in the same place as they should be ?

The 1 mm could be that the hull over time has settled in some places and that the part would fit if the parts were in the correct location

or

Do the notches need to be deepened to hide the descrepency that may have crept in - not that any has, it just may be that there is something not sitting where it should be and thats why the exacting parts are not sitting where they should.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2021, 11:44:53 am »

Also perhaps the drawings have an error somehow. You’re working with very precise tooling eg your mill?

Jerry C.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2021, 12:28:55 pm »

I guess those parts aren't actually glued in just yet.  Does that gap close up with gentle pressure?  If so, I would leave it as it is and let the glue hold the joint tight.  If the gap persists, and if it was me, I would try and figure out where the points were that were holding the piece away from its seated position and ease those a bit to see if you can close the gap (as Warspite suggests).  If not, have another go at making the ill-fitting pieces.  With the knowledge of where the gaps are, and their size, a tight(er) fit should be possible.

But - it's your model, your call.  It is a fair bit of work you will be ditching if you start again.  And it's always worth looking for unintended consequences - if you make a piece very slightly different from the plans, will that impact on the fit of other pieces later on?

Good luck with the fix, however you do it (or don't, you could just live with it!)

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2021, 04:19:26 pm »

Hi all and thanks for the replies  :-))

These parts are glued in place as this was the best that I could get them to fit. They do match the drawings but I guess it’s a cumulative error trying to get 32 frames and joints to all line up exactly together.

I spent over a day fettling the fit but I couldn’t adjust one part without it affecting another. If I lower that part of the keelson it affects the scarf joints at each end. If I then lowered those joints the sternson would be too low which also has a knock on effect.

I’ve decided just to leave it as is for now - funnily enough once it’s planked you won’t be able to see it anyway  {-)

If I only plank the one side I’ll probably make filler pieces and no one will know……….oh hang on a minute  %%

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2021, 04:27:39 pm »

Don't worry - we're not telling.  %) %)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2021, 04:34:08 pm »

Our lips are sealed  O0
Steamed up all the time

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2021, 10:40:09 am »

I think he just realized that one side would be hidden and the other exposed and if he is going to make filler pieces to hide for the exposed side he might as well do it before he planks the other side - correct?  {-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2021, 02:18:38 pm »

Don't worry - we're not telling.  %) %)

Our lips are sealed  O0

I can always rely on you lads  :-))

I think he just realized that one side would be hidden and the other exposed and if he is going to make filler pieces to hide for the exposed side he might as well do it before he planks the other side - correct?  {-)

Hi warspite - I'm not sure whether to fully plank this model or not yet but you are spot on  {-)

These gaps have been doing my head in  {-)   To be fair to myself the book that I am using to help me build this ship is written by a builder called Adrian Sorolla.  He had exactly the same issue and solved it by placing shims in the gaps.  I'm not surprised that this has happened as there are actually 64 mating faces between the frames and the keelson.  Unfortunately none of the parts have any give so they either fit or they don't  <*<

So seeing as my truck decided to breakdown today and gave me a day off of work I decided to make the thin little shims and get the job done.  The average thickness was about 0.6mm but I'm glad that I've done this job.  I'm now "gapless" and I only had to put one shim in at the stem.

Tadaaaaa  {-)

These pictures are of the shims just glued and chiseled to length and I think they will look much better when sanded.  I'll give the whole hull a good clean up soon but not until I've closed the bow and the stern.

Its a long job but thanks for hanging in there - Mark

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2021, 05:03:26 pm »

Hi Mark  don't beat yourself up over a few tiny gaps, I'd be pleased as punch if I had acheaved what you have, if that was the real vessel once in the water those joints would have tightened anyway.

Joe.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2021, 10:54:27 am »

or more precisely, in the full sized vessel the weight of the wood, would have closed the gaps under gravity

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2021, 09:00:10 pm »

or more precisely, in the full sized vessel the weight of the wood, would have closed the gaps under gravity
Also the keel and keelson were bolted together which would have helped closing any gaps.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2021, 04:08:25 pm »

Hi everyone

Wow it seems like such a long time since I posted on here - I've had so much on I've had little time for building but I do have an update at last.

So firstly I filled the gap between frame 1 and the apron using the tried and tested masking tape technique  O0

Then it was onto the hawse timbers - or so I thought!  I won't bore you with the full story but I have had so much trouble interpreting the plans.  The plans are great and it took me over two weeks to actually see what needed to be done.  In the process I wasted loads of wood and time but I think I've finally got it sorted.

I had to cut the first timber to exactly 16.9 degrees and after trying to sand it and failing I knew that it had to be machined.  I bought a cheap angle meter and made a simple jig for the mill and so far it seems ok.

I've now cut and installed the first 3 hawse timbers on the starboard side so I've another 2 to fit.  Its all temporarily held together with 1mm brass rod but wow is this a tricky job.

I'm glad I'm moving forward again and I'll update this as soon as I can.  Here's a picture of the plans for the hawse timbers if you fancy having a go at understanding them  %%

Cheers Mark  :-)) :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2021, 11:01:31 pm »

Absolutely beautiful work there Mark , would be a shame to plank over her ,cheers.
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2021, 01:16:27 pm »

Thanks Brian  :-))   I'm probably only going to plank one side but I'll decide nearer the time

I've now fitted the last two hawse timbers on the starboard side and they are all glued together now.

It still needs loads of sanding and shaping but first I need to replicate this work on the port side

Cheers Mark

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2021, 02:49:06 pm »

Hi All

Well another change of plan  {-)   After building up the starboard side hawse timbers I couldn't see the transition between each part. 

Because of this I thought that I had built them up incorrectly so I decided to roughly fair these parts first before making the port side timbers.

This turned out to be a tricky job as the parts are quite flimsy and I needed to remove a lot of material.  I removed 90% of the wood off of the ship and then took the last bits off once glued in place.

Its not fully faired yet but I'm glad to say that I'm on the right track  :-))   Mind you look at the state of the square holes  {-)   They are all different sizes so I do need to try harder in the future.  Mind you I now have to replicate these odd sizes on the port side  <*<

A few pictures for you below.

Cheers Mark  :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2021, 03:22:05 pm »

:o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2021, 06:16:26 pm »

Hi All

Another update on my build - I've now at last finished the hawse timbers on the other side.  I must be honest these timbers have proven to be the hardest part of the build so far.

I have also made the hawse holes and the triangular filler pieces between hawse timber 1 and frame 1.

I am so glad that this part of the build is just about finished.  The drawings are very complicated but they are also very precise and complete.  It was my translation of them that caused me problems but I seem to have got there at last.  I just need to finish the hole for the bowsprit and hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow and if I do I'll get the pictures up on here.  The top timbers have also not been cut to height as this will be completed when the outside of the hull is faired.

One last picture

Cheers Mark  :-)

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2021, 07:00:21 pm »

Mark a truly beautiful piece of carpentry, it’s a joy to watch your build flourish

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2021, 07:04:10 pm »

Getting better and better Mark.  It would be nice to think the hawse timbers are the hardest bit of the whole thing, and it gets easier from now on.  But of course your skill level is going up and up, so if there are tricky bits ahead I am sure you will deliver an equally lovely result.  :-)) :-))

Greg

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2021, 08:05:30 pm »

Chuf Mark
This is cabinet making, I am definitely throwing away my hammer, chisel and A1 hobbies fretwork machine and going back to bashing metal  O0

Brilliant work, can't wait to see it next year (Mayhem weekend, model boat show or others...).
Steamed up all the time

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2021, 08:25:39 pm »

Up there with the best matey!

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2021, 11:37:07 am »

Lads thanks very much for the really nice comments  :-))   I think its safe to say that my carpentry has become much better than it was - as we say practice makes almost perfect  {-)

This morning I cut the hole out for the bowsprit which like most things required a solution.  The hole diameter to be cut is 14.70mm and it needs to be perfectly inline.

So I made a hole cutter out of a piece of 13mm brass and carefully ran this through using a power drill.  I used the bowsprit saddle as a guide.

I then simply kept on gluing sand paper to the rod until I got to roughly the correct diameter

So I now have a nice clean and correct hole for the bowsprit

So now that the bow is all closed in I can start on the counter timbers at the stern.  I'll make a start on this next weekend  :-))

Thanks again for all of the encouragement on this build - Mark

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2021, 11:55:13 am »

That hole must have been nerve racking, one slip could have spoiled some of the surrounding woodwork but you did it with your usual finesse  :-))

Joe.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2021, 01:43:30 pm »

Mark

Inspirational skills on display with this build..!  Fascinating pictures of beautiful and meticulous workmanship.   :-))

In awe.
David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2021, 02:13:43 pm »

That hole must have been nerve racking, one slip could have spoiled some of the surrounding woodwork but you did it with your usual finesse  :-))

Joe.

Thanks Joe  :-))   It was one of those jobs where I just had to give it a go and luck was on my side.  Mind you I find most of it nerve racking  {-)

Mark

Inspirational skills on display with this build..!  Fascinating pictures of beautiful and meticulous workmanship.   :-))

In awe.
David.

Thanks David I'm getting very slowly but surely mate!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.